Time lapse at Gayle Beck Lodge

Share Your Astro Images Here!
Paramount
Red Super Giant

Time lapse at Gayle Beck Lodge

Post by Paramount » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:38 am

On Tuesday of this week I spent the whole night up by Gayle Beck Lodge near Ribblehead in the Yorkshire Dales shooting some time lapse clips and single shot frames. The lodge is an old ruined hunting lodge which sadly has fallen into a very dilapidated condition, but it has a history behind it which can be found by entering it on Google. While I was there (from 3:30pm Tuesday to 8am Wednesday) I shot a "Holy Grail" time lapse with my Sony A7Sii and Samyang 24mm f1.4 lens and my Timelapse+ view. Over 2,000 images were taken with exposures ranging from 1/6400 second at f1.4 and ISO 100 to 20 seconds at f1.4 and ISO 1250, while doing this a motorised pan and tilt head was moving the camera.
With my Sony A7iii and Samyang 12mm f2.8 fisheye lens I shot some static time lapses, selfies and just to be a bit different I was experimenting with a lens ball! (this can be seen in the clip below). Exposures for these were all 30 seconds at f2.8 and ISO 6400. The only downside to the trip was that I didn't realise just how many cars use that road and there are quite a few headlight flashes but it just adds to what I experienced during the night. I will be having another go with the lens ball but hopefully away from so much traffic

The full video which includes all the clips plus some still frames can be seen at the following link, it is in HD and 4K and does look better on a larger screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRbg-8zM_ug&t=25s

Best wishes
Gordon
Currently using a Tele Vue NP127/FLI (Atlas/Centreline/PL16803) prototype imaging system. Paramount ME. OS Falco guide scope and SX lodestar.

Doug
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Re: Time lapse at Gayle Beck Lodge

Post by Doug » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:46 am

Nicely done Gordon!

The flashing lights were a little distracting, but, the photography was superb! I like the crystal ball focus with the blurred stars in the background. I think it was Orion in the Ball?
MyAstroImages.com Photo Album. Sharing Your AstroImages On Line!
More Images.
:darkgrin:
CPC800, 60MM Classic Refractor, EON72, EON120, Atlas EQ-G, SSPro V1, SSAG, IDAS LPS Filter, TRF-2008

Paramount
Red Super Giant

Post by Paramount » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:56 am

Hi Doug
Thanks for the comments, the lights were a bit distracting overall but they did light up the lodge nicely;-) It is Orion in the lens ball as you mentioned, the lens ball reverses and makes the image upside down so it creates a nice effect in that the movement is the opposite of what is in the sky. I will be trying this out again soon where there are no car headlights
Best wishes
Gordon
Currently using a Tele Vue NP127/FLI (Atlas/Centreline/PL16803) prototype imaging system. Paramount ME. OS Falco guide scope and SX lodestar.

gardenfish
Hypergalaxy

Post by gardenfish » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:57 pm

Another awesome one. With all those satellites its a wonder we can take nice pics at night.
ES127CF FCD100
CEM60EC on PierTech 2 in Roll-off observatory

Takahashi TOA150
CEM60 out side pier

SV70T

QSI6120WSG-8
Astrodon LRGB
3nm Ha-OIII-SII

ST80 - AT60MM Guide scopes
G3 mono - ASI290MM Mini Guide camera's

Nikon D5200 Full Mod

h2opolo
Giant Molecular Cloud (GMC)

Post by h2opolo » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:54 am

Hey Gordon great job as always.

Question for you?

Could you touch on how long you set your interval between shots? I know there is not one fits all but just the basics would be helpful.

I always get a little confused between milky way imaging with or without the Rhino slider or when I'm imaging something with clouds going by.

The clouds are the hardest ones for me because they are always moving across the sky at different speeds when you shoot them. Sometimes I've set the interval wrong and it turned out where the clouds or river's for that matter are streaking by in the video.

Thanks Gordon
Sean
Carbon ED 127 FCD 100 SERIES, GSO RC-8, Stellarvue 130 EDT, WO GT71 & Zenith Star 61
Losmandy G11G
NEQ6, ST80, Lodestar X2,
QSI 690 & 683
Astrodon Ha, SII, OII, LRGB
Shoe size 11.5

Website http://www.redstickastro.com

Paramount
Red Super Giant

Post by Paramount » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:45 am

Hi Sean
With a Holy Grail time lapse like the first clip in this video there are two distinct interval times to set. The daytime interval is 14 seconds and the night time interval is 30 seconds, this is set on the Timelapse+ view intervalometer, as the exposure time during the day is shorter you can take more images per minute than you can at night so you use a shorter interval time. You must allow enough time in the interval for the exposure to be taken and for the image data to be downloaded to the memory card before the next picture starts. With the Timelapse+ view the interval doesn't suddenly jump from 14 seconds to 30 seconds, it gradually changes over a period of time as the exposure length changes so you get a smoother transition. You can of course set the interval to be the same all the way through but the "auto variable" setting that I use allows for a happy medium between day and night. With a holy grail time lapse like this one I started off with an initial exposure during the day of 1/6400 second at f1.4 and ISO 100 and during the night it went to 20 seconds at f1.4 and ISO 1250 and then back to 1/4000 at f1.4 and ISO 100 in the morning, the Timelapse+ view intervalometer takes care of these exposure changes but it is critical that you get the first image correctly exposed and that is up to you to do by checking the image and the histogram on the camera. With the standard time lapses where there is no change in exposure, ie at night you need to set the interval to about 5-7 seconds more than the exposure time, this again is to allow the camera enough time to download the image data to the memory card before starting the next exposure
Hope this helps
Gordon