M86 and Markarian's Chain

Share Your Astro Images Here!
cgome004
Regular Satellite

M86 and Markarian's Chain

Post by cgome004 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:39 pm

I have been in full out galaxy mode but this target is a first for me and wow, I have counted over 25 galaxies in this shot :jumphappy: This is one of my new favorite images, M86 and Markarian's Chain of Galaxies in Virgo
http://www.astrobin.com/full/238276/0/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doug
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Re: M86 and Markarian's Chain

Post by Doug » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:55 pm

That's a super shot Chris! There are more than 25 as you know. I did a count one time on this shot and there are well 100 in this area.

I've got to say, you really made this look great! Congrats!

:thumbup: :thumbup:
MyAstroImages.com Photo Album. Sharing Your AstroImages On Line!
More Images.
:darkgrin:
CPC800, 60MM Classic Refractor, EON72, EON120, Atlas EQ-G, SSPro V1, SSAG, IDAS LPS Filter, TRF-2008

cgome004
Regular Satellite

Post by cgome004 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:30 pm

Thanks Doug, 25 were the main galaxies I immediately saw, but there are tons of fuzzies in there

DkN
Giant Molecular Cloud (GMC)

Post by DkN » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:38 pm

Great Image. You always process so smoothly. I love the back ground color that medium grey that doesn't clip the fine haze of those distant NGC's. Some great detail in the forground Galaxies. Most of the stars are circles, makes me jealous. As you know you seem to have some coma in the corners but that's not uncommon with the big DSLR sensors and a fast newt.

Another wall hanger. You've been killing it out there this winter Chris, congrats.
Jeff

SV80ST w/ Moonlite CFL
GSO6RC w/ Moonlite CSL
ATIK 460EX mono Starlight Xpress Lodestar SX OAG & FW
Astronomik LRGB +Ha 12nm OIII 12nm SII 12nm IDAS LPS P2
SGP, EQMOD, PI, PS
Boxes of DIY

cgome004
Regular Satellite

Post by cgome004 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:31 pm

Thanks Jeff! The Baader MPCC Mark 3 I have for my scope is not able to fully correct the coma of my fast newt but I have learned to accept its performance and live with the coma at the edges. I have been fortunate enough that the weather has been great this winter to leave my scope out for several day at a time. This really saves me time as I wont mind spending the time to get a great polar alignment initially and then I can use the scope for several nights in a row and maximize each entire night. This is not as easy to do with the summer rain here in Florida. When the morning time comes around I park the scope cover it up and place one of those canopy tents over it to protect it fro the sun.

I know you are testing out the new polar alignment scope cam, but have you tried the polar alignment using a timed exposure? that's how I am doing my polar alignment now and I am getting great results. I run a 5 min exposure at Dec 0 and the meridian. let it track at sidereal rate for 5 sec to burn the stars into your image and then at rate 1 slew speed, go either east or west for 145sec (150 sec mark) and then go the opposite way for the remaining 150sec. The Star should burn a trail in your image on way and then trace its way back the other way. If it doesn't, you can make azimuth adjustments and repeat the process until it does. You and then repeat this pointing to the eastern or western horizon (Dec 0) but adjustments will be made to the altitude nobs. You can repeat this back and forth and make adjustments until perfect.

I have marked the floor where I set up so that the tripod is always in the same balanced orientation and so once I have the altitude adjustment all figured out, next time I set up, I will only have to make adjustments to the azimuth nobs (which are way easier to adjust) which saves a ton of time! This link shows what adjustments you make depending on what you see in you images while doing the drift alignment http://astropixels.com/main/polaralignment.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rudeviewer
Nuclear Fusion

Post by Rudeviewer » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:46 am

I tend to leave my mount outside and use 4 or 5 layers of covers but i don't leave my telescope outside ever. I use a leather cover for the first layer, and then i use a thick shipping cover for an ultrasound system for a second layer, shipping blanket for a third, a waterproof swamp cooler cover for a fourth and then two tarps go over it and wrapped up around the bottom with rope or something. I hate moving the cgem dx lol.
Zach
Astro-Physics MACH1 GTO
Williams Optics GT81
Astro-Tech 8" RC
WO .8x Reducer/Flattener
ATIK 383l+ Mono
SXFW v2 USB
Baader RGB/Narrowband filters
Lodestar x2
Orion Thin Off-Axis Guider

cgome004
Regular Satellite

Post by cgome004 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:08 am

I throw several layers over my entire rig too and adding the canopy tent over everything leaves everything nicely secured. Right now I got an awesome alignment, balance, guiding that I don't want to touch anything lol. I guess that is what things would be like if you had your scope permanently mounted on a pier and had a nice little shed with a retractable roof on it. You could just spend time once aligning and setting everything up and once you had it perfect, you could just go straight to imaging every night (moonless and clear of course)
!

Andre
Dielectric Constant

Post by Andre » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:29 am

Very nice detail in the galaxies and super smooth image.
Clear Skies To All
Regards
Andre
South Africa
SW 200P ,180mm Mak , WO 80mm Ed doublet SW 80mm Ed Doublet: 2x EQ5 , 1x EQ6
Nikon D7000 ,Canon 1100D, 50mm prime Nikon , 18 - 105mm VR Nikon , Photoshop CS6 , Hahnel Giga T Remote Nikon, APT