FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Rhino Slider Gear for Paramount (Gordon)

<<

h2opolo

Black Hole

Post Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:24 am

Rhino Slider Gear for Paramount (Gordon)

I cannot seem to figure out how to send a photo to someone on a private message so I am doing it here. I'm ready to start learning how to use my rhino slider gear and do some milky way shots this coming spring and summer and asked Gordon in a private message which tripod he preferred. The guys over at Rhino are pretty much loving the Manfrotto tripods because the upper end ones have a swivel mount that enables you to level the rails without having to monkey around with the legs on rough terrain.

Anyway here is the photos of my little rig. I'm trying to pick out a sturdy tripod and and also make sure that I have all the gear that I'm going to need to make it all work. It's really a killer little piece of equipment. Smooth as glass when running. It even has it's own built in shutter release so you can let it do all the work. I can also get an additional set of carbon rails for longer tracking. They recommend at Rhino to use 2 tripods when adding longer rails so that's why I am asking Gordon or Paramount as yall know him what he is using. Gotta get it right here.

I bought Ricks QSI 690 with the OAG built in on the cover plate which is going to enable me to OAG my RC8. I cannot wait. I've had the RC8 for 9 months and have not shot a photo with it yet, but that is about to change. This also means that I have another post here where I am selling my other QSI 690 with the normal 8 filter cover plate but no OAG. It's a great camera and I'm willing to really make a good deal. I just want to recoup my expenses, I'm not looking to profit at all. Peace out Bro's

It's gonna be a lot of fun. Check out Rhino on YouTube and you will see what I mean.

Later

PS. If anyone knows how to include a photograph on a personal message I would appreciate the education for my old dead head of a brain.

Peace . Sean
Attachments
GEAR 1.jpg
GEAR 1.jpg (314.37 KiB) Viewed 128 times
GEAR 2.jpg
GEAR 2.jpg (276.93 KiB) Viewed 128 times
GEAR 3.jpg
GEAR 3.jpg (335.54 KiB) Viewed 128 times
GEAR 4.jpg
GEAR 4.jpg (307.99 KiB) Viewed 128 times
ES ED-102, Carbon 127, GSO RC-8, Celestron C-11,
ATIK 460 EX Mono, ZWO ASI 1600 MM cool
NEQ6, ST80, Lodestar X2,
Astrodon Ha, SII, OII, LRGB
Shoe size 11.5

Website http://www.redstickastro.com
<<

Europa

Minor Planet

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:04 am

Re: Rhino Slider Gear for Paramount (Gordon)

Looks like fun, a little challenging, but that’s why we do it. Enjoy!
<<

gardenfish

Kiloparsec

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:31 am

I have the perfect Monfrotto tripod sitting right here. Send the slider over and I will see if it works. You could always send a drone over to check out my progress :5:

Rick
Takahashi TSA120 - SV70T
CEM60 - PierTech2 pier
QSI6120 WSG-8
Astrodon 31mm LRGB E Series -Ha-3nm - OIII-3nm - SII-3nm

G3 Mono - ASI290MM Mini - ST80

ES 152 AR - Atlas mount
16" goto Dob

Nikon D5200 Modded

Roll-off roof Observatory
<<

h2opolo

Black Hole

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:25 pm

Dude I sent that drone up for the first time an hour ago and freaked out. It climbed to 300 feet with no problem. The video coming in was 4K I could not believe it. I danced it around in the sky for a little while and then hit the home button. It came down, zipped across my 6 acres and landed on my patio table where it took off.

I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this thing
ES ED-102, Carbon 127, GSO RC-8, Celestron C-11,
ATIK 460 EX Mono, ZWO ASI 1600 MM cool
NEQ6, ST80, Lodestar X2,
Astrodon Ha, SII, OII, LRGB
Shoe size 11.5

Website http://www.redstickastro.com
<<

Paramount

Red Super Giant

Post Thu May 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Hi Sean
Sorry for not getting back to you earlier as I've only just seen this message, I am well, we are having major work being done on our house at the moment with a wall being knocked through and new kitchen and flooring going in so we've been pretty busy. I came back from NEAIC in America where I was speaking at the astroimaging conference on time lapse as well as doing a workshop on the same subject which went down very well.

On to your questions, I have the Manfrotto 055 Carbon tripod which is quite adequate on its own with the 24" railed Rhino. If you are attaching the rail to the tripod instead of using the built in legs on the ground then you attach the rail directly to the tripod If you attach the ball head to the tripod and then the rail onto this you can level the rail easier but at the possible risk of having some flexure, I always attach my rail directly to the tripod and then use the ball head on the ARC. The ball head is then used on top of slider/ARC and then you attach the camera to the ball head.
As far as levelling the top of the tripod is concerned, well that is easy as the Manfrotto has a spirit level built into the top of the tripod.
You will probably find that the 24" rails are sufficient in most cases. The only real need for the 42" rails would be if you wanted a noticeably longer slide during a given period of time lapse, If you went down this route I would recommend getting an extra tripod. Manfrotto do some really nice light weight extra portable tripods which although having a lower weight capacity they would be absolutely fine having one either end of the slider.
If you can and you are planning on hiking with your gear get the carbon tripods as they do save quite a bit of weight.
The only other things that I would recommend you getting is a dew heater for the camera lens, plenty of spare batteries and a suitably large and fast memory card, it looks as though you are about ready to go though
I just noticed from your pictures about the orientation of the ARC on your slider. With the motor on the right of the slider you should have the display and cable sockets of the ARC at the back so if your are standing behind the slider with the motor on the right you should be able to see the little display panel on the ARC. To do this, once you've attached the ARC to the slider you will notice that there are 3 small allen screws on the outside of the ARC, two of these have a thin white circle around them, if you undo these two allen screws with the allen key provided then you can rotate the ARC clockwise until the display and cable sockets are facing to the back of the slider, then tighten up the allen screws again. You only ever have to do this once because if you take ARC off and then put it back on then the display will always be at the back, this is to help avoid cable snags but it's also easier to keep an eye on the battery level
Here is a link to the video from Rhino Camera Gear that shows this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gths_qtK_Ec

Hope this helps
Best wishes
Gordon
Currently using a Tele Vue NP127/FLI (Atlas/Centreline/PL16803) prototype imaging system. Paramount ME. OS Falco guide scope and SX lodestar.

Return to Images