Eagle Nebula - color files

Have a question about processing software, or hardware?

Post your Astrophotography questions here, and get answers!
Andre
Dielectric Constant

Eagle Nebula - color files

Post by Andre » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:35 am

Hi All

I have thus far only used one shot color DSLR cameras for astro imaging , I would like to add some narrow band color to the image below to see the effect ,I do not even know if it is possible to add narrow band color to a DSLR image. Not getting much color from this stack as it is.

Does anyone have narrow color files for this target that I might have accesses to experiment with ?

It would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andre
eagle3test.jpg
eagle3test.jpg (180.87 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
Clear Skies To All
Regards
Andre
South Africa
SW 200P ,180mm Mak , WO 80mm Ed doublet SW 80mm Ed Doublet: 2x EQ5 , 1x EQ6
Nikon D7000 ,Canon 1100D, 50mm prime Nikon , 18 - 105mm VR Nikon , Photoshop CS6 , Hahnel Giga T Remote Nikon, APT

cgome004
Regular Satellite

Re: Eagle Nebula - color files

Post by cgome004 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:04 am

Hi Andre, Do you happen to have the stacked data for this image so that I can take a stab at processing it. This target should have a good amount of color. Your image for some reason looks a uniform tone of pink/red. Just wanted to see if I was able to pull out anything different

Thanks,

Chris

Andre
Dielectric Constant

Post by Andre » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:55 am

Hi Chris

I have one tiff file I found on my imaging laptop .
A few weeks back all my my data was lost due to three criminals that attacked my daughter and stole my image processing laptop with my backup drive in the carry case.

I shall upload it to my google drive and share the link with you i just need your preferred email address.

Thanks for your assistance.

I used a modified Canon 1100D to capture the data and if i remember correctly it was about 8 - 12 hours worth of 5min exposures at ISO 800 with dark's and flats from a very light polluted site.

Andre
Last edited by Andre on Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clear Skies To All
Regards
Andre
South Africa
Nikon D7000 ,Canon 1100D, 50mm prime Nikon , 18 - 105mm VR Nikon , Photoshop CS6 , Hahnel Giga T Remote Nikon, APT

cgome004
Regular Satellite

Post by cgome004 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:23 am

Hi Andre, thanks for the data. Unfortunately when I processed the image, it is also lacking color. It may be the way you are saving your image after it stacks. The image you provided is a monotone shade of pinkish/red including the stars. You should be able to get some star color in there, which is why I believe that it may just be how this image was saved. I would try to save the file after it is stacked without any alterations and then manually stretch it from scratch wither in Pixinsight or Photoshop.

cgome004
Regular Satellite

Post by cgome004 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:23 am

What program are you using for stacking?

Andre
Dielectric Constant

Post by Andre » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:42 am

DSS
Clear Skies To All
Regards
Andre
South Africa

cgome004
Regular Satellite

Post by cgome004 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:57 am

Do you do any stretching in DSS? Usually DSS will stack and save a file that is not stretched. That is the file that you would ideally want to work with. DSS also does somewhat of an autostretch for you on the lower preview window when you are done stacking, but you really don't want to use that image. If you do save it from there, you should make sure that you click do not imbed alteration or something close to that.

Andre
Dielectric Constant

Post by Andre » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:34 am

I normally have no issues with my images stacked in DSS , I do not have the original FTS file as this was lost when laptop got stolen.

I do recall the image being very red with little contrast.

That is the reason I was hoping that someone could provide me some narrow band color so as to experiment with the combination thereof in the first place and to see if one could salvage this image as many hours of exposure went into it capture.

As it stands now I do not think it is worth sharing with the rest of the world.

Thanks

*** :what: I do not recall if I used my UHC clip in filter with this image ,perhaps this is the problem , I do not use this filter anymore as I am unable to get any color in images that were taken with it in the optical train.
Clear Skies To All
Regards
Andre
South Africa