Astrotortilla vs SGP

Have a question about processing software, or hardware?

Post your Astrophotography questions here, and get answers!
Craig
Extragalactic

Re: Astrotortilla vs SGP

Post by Craig » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:15 pm

Yeah it's sweet how it sets up the mosaic
Craig

Meade 115mm ED Triplet, Orion Atlas EQ-G, Orion ST80, SSAG, Nikon D5200, BackyardNIKON

Rudeviewer
Nuclear Fusion

Post by Rudeviewer » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:40 pm

How and what does it do to setup a framing or mosaic?
Zach
Astro-Physics MACH1 GTO
Williams Optics GT81
Astro-Tech 8" RC
WO .8x Reducer/Flattener
ATIK 383l+ Mono
SXFW v2 USB
Baader RGB/Narrowband filters
Lodestar x2
Orion Thin Off-Axis Guider

Craig
Extragalactic

Post by Craig » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:23 pm

The way I understand is the four panels or how ever many you chose, you set up as separate sequences then SGP does its thing
Craig

Meade 115mm ED Triplet, Orion Atlas EQ-G, Orion ST80, SSAG, Nikon D5200, BackyardNIKON

h2opolo
Giant Molecular Cloud (GMC)

Post by h2opolo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:59 am

You go in and pull up the image you want to shoot. Make sure you set the FOV to an area big enough to capture what you want. You then draw a box around the area you want to capture and it will break it up into squares based on your sensors size. If you only want one square then just draw a tiny box with your mouse.

Once you have your boxes made you then just follow along with the process and it will create a new sequence with all of the panels listed as their own target. You can then just go in and rename them however you want.

One other thing you have to pay attention to is that there is a box that comes pre-checked for "Auto Rotate upon Start" or some such thing and if you don't have a rotator you need to uncheck it otherwise your sequence will fail when it tries to access the rotator.

SGP does have a manual rotation feature built into it that you can use which will prompt you to get up and manually rotate the camera until it is satisfied that you have it correct. You just follow the prompts and rotate it according to the direction it tells you to go. Just remember that if you want to use this you have to go into your equipment profile and hit the drop down on the connection settings to get to the other things you can connect to and choose "manual rotator" Once you have that you have to make sure that when you connect all your equipment that you hit that drop down and connect to the manual rotator otherwise it will fail.

That's pretty much it.

It's kind of idiot proof which is why I was able to figure it out so easily.
Carbon ED 127 FCD 100 SERIES, GSO RC-8, WO ED 102, WO GT71 & Zenith Star 61
Losmandy G11G
NEQ6, Ioptron Sky Guider Pro, Lodestar X2,
QSI 690 & 683, ZWO ASI 294MC, Nikon D750, D5300
Astrodon Ha, SII, OII, LRGB
Shoe size 11.5

Website http://www.redstickastro.com

Craig
Extragalactic

Post by Craig » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:40 pm

So last night was the first clear night to try out SGP. And let me tell you WOW. I had stellarium slew to M82 then had SGP run its sequence it platesolved and had me rotate my DSLR. What a program when everything works. I was able to get one 5 minute sub then my guiding went to hell. Doug you need to get a camera that works with SGP. Plate solving has never been easier. Gonna try to get more data tonight.
Craig

h2opolo
Giant Molecular Cloud (GMC)

Post by h2opolo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:37 pm

Hell yeah
Carbon ED 127 FCD 100 SERIES, GSO RC-8, WO ED 102, WO GT71 & Zenith Star 61
Losmandy G11G
NEQ6, Ioptron Sky Guider Pro, Lodestar X2,
QSI 690 & 683, ZWO ASI 294MC, Nikon D750, D5300
Astrodon Ha, SII, OII, LRGB
Shoe size 11.5

Website http://www.redstickastro.com

Doug
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post by Doug » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:39 pm

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I wanted SGP, but, I was denied. O well. I still need to figure out something with my mess.
MyAstroImages.com Photo Album. Sharing Your AstroImages On Line!
More Images.
:darkgrin:
CPC800, 60MM Classic Refractor, EON72, EON120, Atlas EQ-G, SSPro V1, SSAG, IDAS LPS Filter, TRF-2008