FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Jupiter and FULL Moon

<<

Doug

In 1916, Einstein published the general theory of relativity, which held that acceleration distorts the shape of time and space. In a nutshell, space and time are curved near a massive object — the fabric of space-time is distorted

Post Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:35 pm

Jupiter and FULL Moon

Nice night out tonight for the grab n go 60MM Shrine Manon. Jupiter was located to the left and low of the moon tonight. I easily counted FIVE of Jupiter's Moons.

Doug
MyAstroImages.com Photo Album. Sharing Your AstroImages On Line!
More Images.
:darkgrin:
CPC800, 60MM Classic Refractor, EON72, EON120, Atlas EQ-G, SSPro V1, SSAG, IDAS LPS Filter, TRF-2008
<<

MikeM

Lenticular Galaxy

Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Jupiter and FULL Moon

Glad you had a productive evening Doug, but 5 moons?? :nono: Apparently you "didn't get the memo"! From Aug 2-5 the star 45 Capricorni was masquerading as a 5th Galilean moon. Additionally if you were living in Europe you would have had an opportunity to catch Jupiter occult 45 Cap on the evening of the 4th (here in NA you would see 45 Cap reappear as Jupiter rose low in the east).
Gotta read those "memos" Doug!! :poke:
Clear Skies!
Mike

AT8RC -- FSQ-106N
G11
Atik 383L+ - EFW2 - OAG
<<

Doug

In 1916, Einstein published the general theory of relativity, which held that acceleration distorts the shape of time and space. In a nutshell, space and time are curved near a massive object — the fabric of space-time is distorted

Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:24 am

:9: I missed that memo Mike! :9:

They sure looked like 5 moons of Jupiter, they all lined up in a nice elliptic plane around Jupiter. I'll tell you, there is a lot to be said for grab and go! I picked up the already assembled 60MM, set it down, and started looking around in seconds. Nothing like the imaging rigs, or bigger telescopes where you need a back brace to lift the heavy equipment.

The moon last night was HUGE too! Just watching it with your eyeball as it rose when the sunset was fantastic last night.

Doug
MyAstroImages.com Photo Album. Sharing Your AstroImages On Line!
More Images.
:darkgrin:
CPC800, 60MM Classic Refractor, EON72, EON120, Atlas EQ-G, SSPro V1, SSAG, IDAS LPS Filter, TRF-2008
<<

floranicolas

Earth Explorer

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:07 am

It depends on how closely aligned it's moons are, but with more than 60 of 'em, there should be more than a single full moon at a time.

Return to EyePieces