FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Hello from Western New York

<<

Tim99

Earth Explorer

Post Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:55 am

Hello from Western New York

Hello Doug,
I discovered you on YouTube which led me here! Just the website I was looking to join.

I'm getting to be an AstrGeezer as I have been "looking up" since the 1950's. About a year ago, I decided i wanted to take some pictures through my telescope. Gentlemen, "Start Your Engines." !!! I started reading ... and reading ... and watching YouTube videos; some bad and some (like yours) excellent.

I have 2 old telescopes. A 3" Reflector that I got as a prize for selling garden seeds as a kind in 1960's. A 6" Reflector that my Grandfather built in the 1950's

I wanted new stuff and about a year ago, I bought a nice Explore Scientific ED80mm Triplet Refractor and most recently, I bought the Celestron Edge 9.25 SCT and CGEM.

I spent last year with the DSLR taking pictures through the little Refractor. No mount - just a tripod. I had a ball and took some nice pictures of the moon! I even took wildlife pictures with the Refractor: Birds, deer and a woodchuck! haha

After I bought the SCT & CGEM, I started taking longer exposure images of DSO's. Learned about stacking and had some pretty decent results, if i don't say so myself!

Now, here i am ready to buy and Auto-Guider and keep learning-progressing-learning-having fun- and currently freezing outside doing it!

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP POSTING THOSE VIDEOS. I look forward to meeting here with like-minded, slightly kooky, Astrophotographers!

Tim
<<

Doug

The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:09 am

Re: Hello from Western New York

Hi Tim! Welcome to the forums! You sound like you'll fit in nicely here. We have a few other Astrogeeks from the NY area here.

Sounds like you have a plan ready to go for deepsky. That's great! Just one note about the mount you select...IT MUST HAVE AN AUTO GUIDER PORT! I can't stress this enough about the importance of the mount. This should be your most expensive part of your AP setup. Without a solid mount with Auto Guiding, you'll be frustrated, and possibly give up.

You must have selected this hobby because you like to be challenged with puzzles and you like to figure out problems. This hobby has no shortage of ways to spend money so grab your wallet and spend wisely!

Doug
MyAstroImages.com Photo Album. Sharing Your AstroImages On Line!
More Images.
:darkgrin:
CPC800, 60MM Classic Refractor, EON72, EON120, Atlas EQ-G, SSPro V1, SSAG, IDAS LPS Filter, TRF-2008
<<

Nick

Blue Super Giant

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:55 pm

Welcome! that CGEM should do the business! Glad to have you and cant wait to see what pics you are getting! That edge 9.25 is a nice scope because its got built in corrective optics! Planetary nebulae should look great! I recommend trying the dumbbell, and the ring nebula, and the crab nebula, and with the 9.25 you should be able to get up close and personal on the horsehead nebula! The 80mm would do nice on the Pleiades which are in prime time right now! clear skys! :clearsky:
Celestron Super C8+ | Moonlite Crayford | Celestron f6.3 Reducer
Orion ED80T CF | Orion FF
Orion EON 130 | Orion 3' FF
Celestron Nightscape 8300
Celestron Neximage 5
Orion SSAG
Orion 50mm GS
Orion Atlas EQ-G
PHD 2
Maxim DL 6 Pro
<<

MikeM

Magellanic Cloud

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:04 am

Welcome to the site Tim, great to have you here. Looking forward to your contributions!
Clear Skies!
Mike

AT8RC -- FSQ-106N
G11
Atik 383L+ - EFW2 - OAG

Return to Introduce Yourself