FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

hello everyone

<<

wildwooly

Leaving Gravity

Post Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:12 am

hello everyone

Hi all, I,m from south wales, stumbled into astrophotography about 18mths ago through photography and obbsessed with it ever since. I currently own A HEQ5 mount, a skywatcher 150, an Equinox ED 80 and just installed a homemade pier mount. Still very much a beginner and have a lot of questions
cheers
Paul
<<

Doug

The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:21 am

Re: hello everyone

Hi Paul!

Welcome to the forums! Go ahead and fire away your questions. We all have different opinions of what we like and your job is trying to figure out what's best for you! You know how the internet works, tons of opinions, and tons of Good/Bad answers too.

We're more than willing to give you some advice.

Sounds like you have a great start with your equipment. HEQ5 mount is a very nice mount...with a pier too? Have you got your polar alignment nailed down? You should check out this last video Jeff (DkN) did about the PoleMaster:

Anyway, Glad to see stop in and say Hi!

Doug
MyAstroImages.com Photo Album. Sharing Your AstroImages On Line!
More Images.
:darkgrin:
CPC800, 60MM Classic Refractor, EON72, EON120, Atlas EQ-G, SSPro V1, SSAG, IDAS LPS Filter, TRF-2008
<<

wildwooly

Leaving Gravity

Post Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:02 am

I did fancy that but at the moment my moneys going into a guide scope/cam set up. I thought it would be straight forward just slotting it into where the finder scope goes, but I have been told it wont be stable enough and to get guide rings (which is turning into a nightmare) some say because its a short scope im ok others say nope wont be stable, so bit torn there at the moment especially as altair are doing a scope camera package, headaches lol
<<

Doug

The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:35 pm

I've had better success personally with a longer focal length for my guide scope. You'll figure out something. Many people like the faster finder scope sizes for AG too.
More Images.
CPC800, 60MM Classic Refractor, EON72, EON120, Atlas EQ-G, SSPro V1, SSAG, IDAS LPS Filter, TRF-2008
<<

MikeM

Magellanic Cloud

Post Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:42 am

Welcome to the site Paul! Getting your preferred gear is always a challenge - figuring out ones priorities. One of the issues in having a guide scope/cam setup where the finder goes, is that most finder brackets are not too stable. If going the guidescope route (as opposed to an OAG), I would suggest getting a rail on top of your main scope with some stout rings.
While the Polemaster is a nice piece of equipment I believe it is more suited to imagers that set up and tear down often. Since you have a permanent pier, polar alignment will be done infrequently. So once you dial it in, it should be set.
Clear Skies!
Mike

AT8RC -- FSQ-106N
G11
Atik 383L+ - EFW2 - OAG
<<

wildwooly

Leaving Gravity

Post Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:44 am

Hi guys and thanks for the waqrm welcome, I have been trying to get hold of everthing, the way I see it I need a 90mm set of tube rings for the ED80, two medium size dovetails so one is at the bottom and one on top, aslo I need a set of guide rings for the guide scope, trying to get hold of them though is another thing as everywhere here (UK) seems to be out of stock of the rings, ATM all I have ordered are the two dovetails
<<

Doug

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:47 am

Not familiar with Amazon UK, however, there are a couple of different sets of 90 mm Telescope rings in stock there.
More Images.
<<

wildwooly

Leaving Gravity

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:03 am

on amazon they coming from germany £35 or wait untill they back in stock here at £17 guess im waiting lol

Return to Introduce Yourself