FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Color issues

<<

Codeman

Perigee

Post Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:51 am

Color issues

I have been doing Astrophotography for several years now and use DeepSkyStacker, RegiStax most of the time. I also have Nebulosity4, StarCap and FireCapture but have not learned them well as yet. FireCaptuer is used for the video of planets with my ZWO ASI120MC-S. I have a short tube Orion guidescope with the StarShoot AutoGuider. My Telescope is a 10" Meade LX200GPS on a wedge/tripod and I do take it to different sites. I also have two Meade DSI cameras that I do not use that much anymore.

Here are my issues. Since getting a Canon EOS 60Da camera, a little over a year ago, my colors; after stacking with DSS, appear to be reduced or lost. I have reviewed many online video tutorials on DSS, Photoshop CS2 and on the Canon EOS 60D camera settings. I cannot find an online video tutorial for the 6oDa. I am not getting the colors others are after stacking. I just cannot figure out what the problem is.

Can anyone give me info on their settings for DSS so I can check what I have? I also noticed that DSS at times gives me a error window that only has a yellow yield sign with an "!" in it at times. Usually occurs after stacking once, clearing the list of pictures and trying to stack another different set of pictures. I just have to close and restart DSS to get it to stack another session.

If my Canon camera settings are wrong, can someone let me know their settings? I am shooting in RAW on the Canon. I did make some jpegs of the before and after stacking pictures. JPEG size because the RAW are very large files for uploading or sending in emails.

I save my online tutorial links and have seen many by many different people. I have done what others have and just am not getting good color like others are getting that I have seen.

Thanks
<<

Rudeviewer

Nuclear Fusion

Post Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:57 am

Re: Color issues

I know just directly out of DSS with my modded 600d, I had to turn the saturation levels up to see what colors were. Since DSS is just stacking, i wouldn't use that as a guage too much for what your color is going to look like. What happens when you process the image? Is still colorless? I know most of the time, I add saturation to boost color levels of most of my images anyways. Maybe you can post up a stack of what you think is colorless?
Zach
Astro-Physics MACH1 GTO
Williams Optics GT81
Astro-Tech 8" RC
WO .8x Reducer/Flattener
ATIK 383l+ Mono
SXFW v2 USB
Baader RGB/Narrowband filters
Lodestar x2
Orion Thin Off-Axis Guider
<<

Codeman

Perigee

Post Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:21 pm

I have tried both using DSS adjustments on the stacked picture and not using the adjustments since I use Photoshop CS2 after stacking.

I went to the FAQ and could not understand how to load a picture of a stacked and not stacked picture to this reply post. I do not have a public web site to post my picture. Some suggestions on how to upload for the forums review of the pictures?

The stacked does have some color but it is very pale compared to a original picture. I have used the color enhancements in Photoshop but it is still nothing compared to what others are getting. My ZWO takes in color and in Photoshop the colors are there. It must have something to do with DSS settings or my Canon settings. Right now the Canon is set on STANDARD under the Picture Style menu option. Maybe the White Balance is off and it is set on AWB.
<<

Doug

The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:47 pm

I was going to suggest using your White Balance to Auto, that typically has worked great for me. But since you already tried that, let's see if you can post a link an example.

Some places to try for free file sharing:

1) Dropbox
2) Mediafire
3) Google Docs

Dropbox and Mediafire are good places to share files, it's easy to upload, and share.

You can also upload jpg files here if they are 800px wide or less.
MyAstroImages.com Photo Album. Sharing Your AstroImages On Line!
More Images.
:darkgrin:
CPC800, 60MM Classic Refractor, EON72, EON120, Atlas EQ-G, SSPro V1, SSAG, IDAS LPS Filter, TRF-2008
<<

Codeman

Perigee

Post Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:46 pm

I do have a dropbox. I have put the reduced photos converted to JPEG in dropbox. I forgot how to let people have access to it. Seems to me I have to have an your email address or some address to put in the share icon that comes up. Files with "ST" in the file name indicates they have been STACKED in DSS. The others are just one picture out of several to show what one looks like before stacking.
<<

Rudeviewer

Nuclear Fusion

Post Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:50 pm

There should be a share button that comes up and it will give you a link that you can post here and then we can download it.
Zach
Astro-Physics MACH1 GTO
Williams Optics GT81
Astro-Tech 8" RC
WO .8x Reducer/Flattener
ATIK 383l+ Mono
SXFW v2 USB
Lodestar x2
<<

Codeman

Perigee

Post Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:19 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/97ds9ipn85zfe ... 1.jpg?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/97u81o6t8yens ... 1.jpg?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0kpr13wqzsf6 ... 1.jpg?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eo6xp7euv30ez ... 1.JPG?dl=1
4 photos; two at 2-secs and two at 30-secs. ST in the file name means those are already stacked in DSS.
I changed them from their RAW or TIFF files to JPEG but still had to reduce one JPEG because it was over a MEG.

Thanks for letting me know about the share method.

The stacked ones seem to have lost color.
<<

Rudeviewer

Nuclear Fusion

Post Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:42 pm

You are right about losing color a bit. The 2nd one you shared looks great actually. Good stars and color. Let's see.....how many subs are you stacking? Are they exactly the same length of sub? Were you using any calibration files while stacking? Also can you elaborate on what your settings in DSS are when you are registering and stacking?
Zach
Astro-Physics MACH1 GTO
Williams Optics GT81
Astro-Tech 8" RC
WO .8x Reducer/Flattener
ATIK 383l+ Mono
SXFW v2 USB
Lodestar x2
<<

Codeman

Perigee

Post Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:25 am

The second picture you mentioned was a single shot (light) from the camera. Of course a jpeg and reduced for file size. The original is a RAW file. I took 19 of them to use in stacking. After stacking the color was gone. I used 10 darks at the same exposure setting as the lights and 10 bias in the stacking. Exposure was 30-sec and ISO was 1600 for that picture. Same for the 2-sec picture. All photos are directly through the telescope. The telescope is the camera lens.

Last night I viewed another tutorial and the person used DSS for the color modifications. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J96e9HRbi-A&t=25s

I had seen his before; however, most all others I had viewed stated to do post processing in Photoshop. So, I tried the DSS method for the stacked 30-sec and 2-sec shots and will put in the drop box the result. I did do some work in Photoshop. I used layer mask to bring out the 2-sec shot over the brighter 30-sec shot. Maybe I can do better after some more practice. Still do not know why the colors could not be done in Photoshop. Link below is the dropbox of picture processed using DSS color modifications and finishing in Photoshop.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jfbfngs0izqm ... 1.jpg?dl=0

As for the DSS settings. I have changed them to every DSS video tutorial I have seen. The dropbox picture above I changed the settings to what the presenter had.
In DSS I do use the star count first. I have at times canceled after the star count and started up again using the one shot that had the highest score as a referenced shot. I have not seen any difference using that method or just going ahead and process not knowing the highest score.

I just do not understand why Photoshop will not modify the colors as the DSS did. I have viewed over the years many DSS and Photoshop video tutorials and everyone does a bit of a different method but my Photoshop is not modifying the colors as others. Some I have viewed have the same version of Photoshop (CS2) as I and others newer versions.

Oh, I just recently figured out how to get rid of the red tint I was having before and after stacking in DSS. I have seen the same red tint over the picture on other tutorials. I was thinking that was the issue but it was not. Do not remember what I did to get rid of that red tint. It was on all the pictures when brought into DSS prior to stacking. However, in Canon software view there was not any red tint over the picture.

Hope some of the above answers your questions.
<<

Doug

The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:39 pm

Hey! That's a great shot! Congrats! You did it!

:thumbup: :giantsmile: :thumbup:
MyAstroImages.com Photo Album. Sharing Your AstroImages On Line!
More Images.
:darkgrin:
CPC800, 60MM Classic Refractor, EON72, EON120, Atlas EQ-G, SSPro V1, SSAG, IDAS LPS Filter, TRF-2008

Return to Image Help & Advice