FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Plate solving

<<

gardenfish

Gas GIANT

Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:51 pm

Plate solving

Tonight using Stellarium and clicking on a target then contol+c copy, then going to SGPRO and clicking on target then control+v paste, then skew to then center now I tried M31-M33-IC63......... :jumphappy: :jumphappy: :jumphappy: :jumphappy: :jumphappy:

Every one was DEAD CENTER :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tried auto focus and got the Lum good, then switched to Ha it did good then decided to go back to lum and ran auto focus again and when finished used the baht mask to check it out :thumbup: :jumphappy: :thumbup: :jumphappy: :thumbup: :jumphappy: :thumbup:

Felt like a great night so far so I am trying a small sequence to check the auto focus out. Makes me want to really get moving on the Skyshed so I can set it up once and leave it.

Thanks for the motivation and tips Sean.
Takahashi TSA120 Atlas EQ-G
QSI690 WSG-8 - SX Lodestar X2
Astrodon 1.25" LRGB E Series -Ha5nm -OIII -3NM -SII 3NM

ES 152 AR - Celestron Advanced CG5 GT
12" Goto Dob
G3 Mono - ST80
Nikon D5200 Modded
<<

gardenfish

Gas GIANT

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:55 pm

Re: Plate solving

Followed the manual to figure out the stepsize for auto focus and settled on 41. Ended up with perfect U curves and baht mask confirmed. Plate solving went excellent as well. Tried first auto meridian flip in middle of a sequence and it went awesome. stopped, flipped, re centered, started tracking, focused, and continued shooting....all while I watched.

I feel like I just graduated from something!

12" Goto Dob
G3 Mono - ST80
Nikon D5200 Modded
<<

h2opolo

Hypergalaxy

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:44 pm

Don't you love it. Once you get used to it you will never go back to the old ways. Nothing like walking outside and with a right click youre on target and imaging in 5 minutes.

Write down the step size differences between your filters. It will help you when you switch to enter that number in and get it really close.

Remember that coming up with that step size is kind of a fluid thing. It's dependent upon seeing conditions, temp, and transparency. For me I find that the 40's to 50's works well with my Astrodons. It's funny but the SII and the HA are pretty much the same but when I slide the OIII in I have to hit my coarse focus for a 150 steps out to get it in focus. Pretty much works every time. I have just learned that the OIII is 150 steps out from the the other two and the SII is 30 steps from HA.
ES ED-102, Carbon 127, GSO RC-8, Celestron C-11,
ATIK 460 EX Mono, ZWO ASI 1600 MM cool
NEQ6, ST80, Lodestar X2,
Astrodon Ha, SII, OII, LRGB
Shoe size 11.5

Website http://www.redstickastro.com
<<

gardenfish

Gas GIANT

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:39 pm

Yeah it was weird getting the #'s. When your in focus then go out until 3x the hfr I would go out 5 then 5 then 5 then 5 and sometimes the focus would get better instead of worse., that would be a telling factor of seeing I believe. Finally just went fast and settled on 41 for now but to get to 3x I could of gone even more I am sure.

Getting this done I really want to get the Skyshed done. Then, in theory, there will be one setup and done.

12" Goto Dob
G3 Mono - ST80
Nikon D5200 Modded
<<

Doug

The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:18 am

Congrats on your Plate Solving! One day...I hope to join the plate solving group...one day...
MyAstroImages.com Photo Album. Sharing Your AstroImages On Line!
More Images.
:darkgrin:
CPC800, 60MM Classic Refractor, EON72, EON120, Atlas EQ-G, SSPro V1, SSAG, IDAS LPS Filter, TRF-2008

Return to Equipment