FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

best bang for your buck??

<<

Rrowe

Minor Planet

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:22 pm

best bang for your buck??

I am going to finally get a skywatcher EQ6-R. now I am looking to put an imaging scope on it. im looking at all these ed80 scopes as it seems to be a consensus good first imaging scope. I am wondering if anyone knows of a good quality scope for its price point. would it hurt to go a bit bigger like an ed100 as a first imaging scope?

also what would be a good guidescope and guidecamera combination to get, i know of the orion packages but I have been worried that if i by an orion package i would be upgrading to something later down the road. i would rather spend money once and get it right the first time.

I have a Canon T6i not modified and probably not going to as i like taking nightscapes with it. as well as kids sports and general outdoor photography. what would be a good camera to buy. I found a good deal on a ZWO ASI174M i know its mono but i could just take mono pictures to start then buy filters/filterwheel later down the road.

what are your thoughts on my thoughts. thanks guys
<<

MikeM

Magellanic Cloud

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:04 pm

Re: best bang for your buck??

Congrats on the new upcoming mount! As for a decent scope, the Explore Scientific ES80 f/6 triplet is a good bang for the buck scope. It's about $650 and when compared to other triplets in that size, it's about $300-400 cheaper. My guess would be which glass they use, but have seen some decent reviews on the scope. If you want more quality then I would suggest looking at Stellarvue; their 80mm scope is ~$1000.
As for a guidescope/camera the QHY5L-II gets great reviews and is abouot $160. Attach that to a 50-80mm guides cope and you have a good combo.
The ASI cameras also get rave reviews, but I believe that camera is made for planetary/lunar/solar imaging, not for deep sky.
Clear Skies!
Mike

AT8RC -- FSQ-106N
G11
Atik 383L+ - EFW2 - OAG
<<

Rrowe

Minor Planet

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:21 pm

Thanks Mike. Since that post i have bought a used Orion ed80T CF.

thanks for the info on the guidescope, ill look that up.
<<

Craig

SuperNova

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:39 am

Have a look at the ZWO ASI294MC Pro. Look it up on youtube lots of great reviews.
Craig

Meade 115mm ED Triplet, Orion Atlas EQ-G, Orion ST80, SSAG, Nikon D5200, BackyardNIKON

Return to Help ME! Get Support!