When do you have time to take darks?

Need some suggestions to help improve your image? Post it here and let the opinions fly!
Rrowe
Minor Planet

When do you have time to take darks?

Post by Rrowe » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:42 pm

I have recently got my setup sorted out and working good. last night i took 26 Light images at 15 min exposure at iso 800. that took over 6 1/2 hours. So to take dark frames at the same length and exposure would take, for 20 exposures 5 hours. i didn't have the time after my session before I had to pack it in and get home. so I set up in the spare room at home and did my darks but the temperature wont be the same. will that make that big of difference?

My equipment is an Orion ED80T CF. with an Orion FF. Canon T6i not modified camera. Skywatcher EQ6r mount. Using Backyard EOS for capturing software. ALTAIRGP130M guide camera and a starfield 50mm guidescope.

Thanks
Randy

Doug
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Re: When do you have time to take darks?

Post by Doug » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:01 pm

Hi Randy,

It's a different story when you have regulated cooling and you can set your chip temperature. To be honest, I have done both. With regulated Cooling and without.

In your case you do not have regulated cooling, here's what I did in that scenario if it helps any.
Take my darks during the twilight of the morning. Not dark enough to image, but, you can take darks for a couple of hours before the sun rises. Over a two day weekend, I would take darks both mornings, and depending on the exposure, I can get 5 to 10 darks. You only need about 5 darks.

Is there a chip temperature difference? You bet! When you first start the night your chip will be warmer, but, I always found the twilight darks to be good enough. The only problem is you need to take your darks every twilight, at least that's what I did. The morning darks probably are the coolest temperature, but, I think that's the best you can do without regulated cooling.

Hope that helps!

Doug
MyAstroImages.com Photo Album. Sharing Your AstroImages On Line!
More Images.
:darkgrin:
CPC800, 60MM Classic Refractor, EON72, EON120, Atlas EQ-G, SSPro V1, SSAG, IDAS LPS Filter, TRF-2008