Imaging over a multiple nights.

Need some suggestions to help improve your image? Post it here and let the opinions fly!
Rrowe
Minor Planet

Imaging over a multiple nights.

Post by Rrowe » Sun May 12, 2019 11:10 am

This weekend I am imaging the crescent nebula over Saturday and Sunday night. On Saturday when I was done i took my darks, Flats and Bias Frames. On Sunday I will do the same. My question is do you stack all the lights and calibration frames together? or seperate the stacking into each night then somehow merge the 2 master lights together?

Thanks
Randy
Last edited by Rrowe on Mon May 13, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doug
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Re: Imaging over a multiple nights.

Post by Doug » Mon May 13, 2019 7:17 am

Hi Randy,

For what it's worth, I often image the way you do. . . spend a couple of nights imaging, then take one calibration set for both nights. The one exception is darks. If you have regulated cooling on your camera, then you can build a library of darks.

Here's what I typically will do, Image, Friday, and Saturday night. . . then on Saturday get up early and take my Flats and Bias on the last night.

Sure, if you're a purest, you could argue, dust could form on the objective each night, but, where do you draw the line? You could get new dust every minute.

I say do it once a weekend and you're good to go!

Doug
MyAstroImages.com Photo Album. Sharing Your AstroImages On Line!
More Images.
:darkgrin:
CPC800, 60MM Classic Refractor, EON72, EON120, Atlas EQ-G, SSPro V1, SSAG, IDAS LPS Filter, TRF-2008

Rrowe
Minor Planet

Post by Rrowe » Mon May 13, 2019 1:25 pm

Doug
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post by Doug » Mon May 13, 2019 2:50 pm

Hi Randy,

What were your exposure settings. . . etc?

Looks like a good image, but, it looks like there could have been some data that was clipped. Depending on your exposure settings, I think you could have pulled a little more detail out of the image.

If you want any suggestions, I'd be happy to help. But, I also know sometimes it's better to move on to the next image.

Doug
More Images.
CPC800, 60MM Classic Refractor, EON72, EON120, Atlas EQ-G, SSPro V1, SSAG, IDAS LPS Filter, TRF-2008

Rrowe
Minor Planet

Post by Rrowe » Mon May 13, 2019 3:11 pm

Not a problem I am here to learn. 5 min @ ISO 800. I have 50 Lights. 30 Flats. 10 Darks. 50 Bias.

I am using an Unmodified Canon T6i. Orion ED80T CF. w/ orion FF. Skywatcher EQ6r mount. and an autoguider.

Doug

Post by Doug » Mon May 13, 2019 3:13 pm

What are you using to process the image? Photoshop?

I think the "black point" is too black and when you cut the black point off, you lose the fainter details.
More Images.